Notice: Due to Covid-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via phone or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Compassionate and Aggressive Counsel Tailored to Your Family's Needs

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support

Helping Pembroke Pines Residents Understand their Legal Options

When parents reside in different states or different countries, child support issues can become complicated. With the help of a knowledgeable family law attorney, it’s possible to have a better understanding of how the law works, especially in complex interstate scenarios. The team at the Law Office of Jerome P. Ventura has over 25 years of experience helping clients solve their child support concerns.

Contact our office by calling (954) 280-6119 for a consultation to discuss your interstate or international child support situation.

  • How is child support determined?

    Each state has guidelines they use for determining the amount of child support owed, factoring in the child’s needs, each parent’s ability to pay support, and the standard of living the child had before the divorce.

  • Can I receive child support if I never married my child's father?

    Yes. Parenting a child means that person must support the child. Therefore, in cases where parents aren’t married, it may be necessary to prove paternity in order to obtain child support.

  • Do mothers have to pay child support when fathers have custody?

    Yes. Child support guidelines are not concerned with the sex of the custodial parent. However, some methods for calculating payments can evenly divide the payments based on both parents’ incomes.

  • Can I still receive child support if I make more money than my ex?

    The answer here is usually yes. Both parents owe a duty to support their children, regardless of income differences.

  • How are child support payments enforced?

    Child support payments can be enforced with wage garnishment, where an employer’s wages are directly deposited into the child support registry. If this method is not sufficient, your family law attorney can utilize other means available to enforce the support order.

  • Can my ex move to a different state with easier laws to reduce his child support obligation?

    No. According to the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), the jurisdiction remains with the court where the order was originally decreed. All modifications must take place there.

  • If I recently lost my job, do I still have to pay child support?

    Yes. While it is possible to modify the court order for circumstances like these, you must continue paying in full until that takes place. Talk with an experienced family law attorney for assistance.

  • Do I still have to allow time-share/visitation if I haven’t received child support payments?

    Yes. While it is obviously unlawful for the other person to violate the terms of their support obligations, it is equally unlawful for the other parent to deny visitation rights.

  • What happens to the payments I am owed if my ex files bankruptcy?

    Bankruptcy does not generally eliminate money owed in child support. However, these matters can be complicated, so it is best to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

  • If the person paying child support gains other children to support, will that affect the payments I am owed?

    While many support payment calculations allow for adjustments, new obligations undertaken by the payer do not usually reduce how much they owe to preexisting obligations. However, this is not always the case, so having advice from an experienced family law attorney is important.

Contact Us Today!

All Consultations are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.