Notice: We are a virtual functioning office and do offer free in-person appointments upon request!
Compassionate and Aggressive Counsel Tailored to Your Family's Needs

Pembroke Pines Child Support Attorney

Decades Spent Helping Families Protect their Interests

The Law Office of Jerome P. Ventura tailors to your family's needs, particularly in stressful and emotionally complex child support cases in Pembroke Pines, FL. As a certified mediator, and Pembroke Pines child support attorney Jerome P. Ventura has experience on your side, with over 25 years serving Broward County. If you are involved in a child support dispute, retain the services of an experienced Pembroke Pines family law attorney to help you protect your family’s interests.

Can A Lawyer Help Reduce Child Support?

Child support arrangements are modifiable. If you experience disability, serious illness, a change in financial circumstances, inheritance, or if your child(ren) ages out of the system, you may be eligible for a modification. Review more here: Child Support Enforcement & Modification and Child Support & Taxes.

Call the Law Office of Jerome P. Ventura by dialing hone} today. We offer free consultations to help you understand the legal options available.

How to Calculate Child Support in Florida

Until a child reaches the age of majority or is emancipated beforehand, parents must provide financial support. With divorced couples, the parent who does not live with the child is usually required to pay child support so long as the statutory factors are met.

Child support payments in Pembroke Pines can be calculated using several factors:

  • The income of the Mother
  • The income of the Father
  • The cost of healthcare and who pays for it
  • The cost of childcare and who pays for it
  • The number of overnights the child spends with each parent
  • Whether child support is being paid for children from another relationship

There are additional factors, however the above are the main factors. Special circumstances may all for deviation from the child support formula. Florida has specific statutory rules used to determine what is income for child support calculation purposes.

Florida law takes child support seriously. Florida has determined that child support is a right of the child and not the parents. This prevents parents from manipulating the other in order to achieve a lower or greater child support payment. The amount is regulated by a statutory formula. There are a number of methods by which the state can enforce a parent’s child support payment to a parent, although each state can administer those methods differently. Until a child reaches the age of majority (18 in most states), parents are required to support them financially.

Enforcement of Child Support

Once child support is awarded, the payment is usually required to be made through the Support Enforcement Unit. The court issues an income withholding order which causes the employer to remove the court ordered child support amount directly from the employee’s paycheck. This payment is sent by the employer directly to the Support Enforcement Unit for tracking and disbursement to the receiving parent. This prevents the paying parent from manipulating the receiving parent by late or missing payments. It is possible, for good cause, to have the court order the payment directly to the recipient without an income withholding order. Failure to pay can result in suspension of professional, business, recreational, and driver’s licenses. Some cases could even result in a jail sentence.

Modifying Child Support Payments

There are cases where support amounts can be modified. The modification usually requires an involuntary, permanent and substantial change in circumstances as well as be in the best interest of the child. Some examples may include a decrease in income due to a lost job or reduction in income. Having the help of an experienced Pembroke Pines family law attorney can help you understand the nuances of Florida law in these instances.

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support

  • Can I receive child support if I never married my child's father?
    • Yes. Parenting a child means that person must support the child. Therefore, in cases where parents aren’t married, it may be necessary to prove paternity in order to obtain child support.
  • Do mothers have to pay child support when fathers have custody?
    • Yes. Child support guidelines are not concerned with the sex of the custodial parent. However, some methods for calculating payments can evenly divide the payments based on both parents’ incomes.
  • Can I still receive child support if I make more money than my ex?
    • The answer here is usually yes. Both parents owe a duty to support their children, regardless of income differences.
  • Can my ex move to a different state with easier laws to reduce his child support obligation?
    • No. According to the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), the jurisdiction remains with the court where the order was originally decreed. All modifications must take place there.
  • If I recently lost my job, do I still have to pay child support?
    • Yes. While it is possible to modify the court order for circumstances like these, you must continue paying in full until that takes place. Talk with an experienced family law attorney for assistance.
  • Do I still have to allow time-share/visitation if I haven’t received child support payments?
    • Yes. While it is obviously unlawful for the other person to violate the terms of their support obligations, it is equally unlawful for the other parent to deny visitation rights.
  • What happens to the payments I am owed if my ex files bankruptcy?
    • Bankruptcy does not generally eliminate money owed in child support. However, these matters can be complicated, so it is best to speak with an experienced family law attorney.
  • If the person paying child support gains other children to support, will that affect the payments I am owed?
    • While many support payment calculations allow for adjustments, new obligations undertaken by the payer do not usually reduce how much they owe to preexisting obligations. However, this is not always the case, so having advice from an experienced family law attorney is important.

Acting on Your Own

It is important to understand that a court order is binding. Parents are not legally allowed to make any changes to child support amounts determined by a judge without a court order. Any changes must occur in court, and any deviation from this mandate could result in contempt of court charges or other penalties. No matter what the circumstances, all modifications must take place in court. Get the help of an experienced attorney.

Call (954) 280-6119 today for a free consultation with the Law Office of Jerome P. Ventura.

  • About Us

    Our experience allows us to respond to novel situations to deliver the best possible results to our clients.

    More About Us
  • Family Law

    We have spent decades aggressively fighting for you and your family's rights.

    View All Family Law Services
  • Attorney

    You need an attorney to listen to your needs and to provide honest recommendations so you can make valid, effective decisions to help manage your case.

    Meet Jerome P. Ventura

See How We've Helped Other Families

  • “I reached out to Mr. Ventura and he called me back promptly answering all of my questions giving me very specific and detailed information/advice of what to do and what not to do.”

    Wendy R.

  • “I initially contacted Mr. Ventura to get a consultation with regards to a family case. I’ve had several consultations prior and the previous attorneys were not as helpful or understanding as he was.”


  • “Mr. Ventura is very knowledgeable and professional.”

    Millicent C.

  • “I am forever grateful for their support and persistence.”

    Naivy P.

  • “An attorney/client relationship is one that should have respect and trust, which I what I experienced with Jerry Ventura's office and his staff.”